Monday, December 31, 2007

Hats and Socks

My arm said it was time to take a break from looming so I've been crocheting lately. This is called the Chunky Brimmed Winter Hat. I had some variegated yarn in pretty fall colors I wanted to try and think it turned out nicely. The free pattern is located at http://www.yarnsandmusings.com/2007/01/chunky-brimmed-winter-hatchapeau.html .


Lion Brand published a book called Just Hats, Favorite Patterns to Knit and Crochet. It has basic hat patterns for both techniques as well as variations and more complicated patterns. This hat is called The Kiss and was as easy as the pattern promised. It's the first time I've used double point needles and they turned out to be quite manageable.



These socks have consumed much of my time lately. They are made of Moda Dea Sassy Stripes and were done on two circular needles. I used Queen Kahuna's methods for the cast-on, general directions for size, and short row heel (http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com/). I really like her technique. I've done other socks on circular needles but never quite got the sizing correct and hated the heelflap. The ribbing is a pattern of K2 P2 for 5 rows, then P2 K2 for 5 rows.



No comments: